Saturday, January 3, 2009

362 days to go :)

Today went pretty well. That means that I didn't feel hungry.

I ate a fair amount of brown rice and pinto beans. Didn't have any avocados in the house cuz we just got back from visiting our kids in New York.

It is already clear that one of the challenges is the loss of sauces and seasonings. Somehow, today, olive oil and lemon juice just didn't hit the spot on my salad (which also had brown rice and pinto beans on it).

3 days without coffee. No headache; never have had that problem. But, ask me if a cup of coffee sounds good.

Got lots of stuff in the house that we can't eat; rice cakes, sardines, mayo, mustard, chocolate, etc... This year will have a lot of temptations. Three days into it, I am feeling strong.

We are going to have to get on with some more, and some more creative cooking, or end up feeling hungry. - How odd; I talk about feeling hungry when others ARE hungry. This is part of what I like about this project; it provides new perspectives.

Time for bed so that I might have the energy to do my yoga, take a walk, take care of my 78 year-old mother, who lives with us, go to the farmers' market in Ojai, and prepare lots of attractive local food for the coming week. Good night!

2 comments:

Jovi said...

so, are you not choosing a 3rd exception for the month? or just haven't yet?

also, are you going to be making rice/soy/almond milk? not sure you can get local soy, but exception rice and probably local almonds.

i'll try to think of more :)

Tori Janaya said...

Talk about perspective -- thank you for a broader one. I just spent a few hours cooking/preparing meals for the next few days and I thought THAT was a bit of work. I take it all back. It was a piece of cake. A very non-locavore cake.

Loving you all!